#development

British Wrestling hosts Level 3 Coaching Course following first-ever GB Grand Prix

By United World Wrestling Press

MANCHESTER, England (January 8) – British Wrestling organized the first-ever Great Britain Grand Prix December 2-3. This competition was part of the UWW Development Department’s REDT programme and conducted in conjunction with Olympic Solidarity and British Wrestling. The REDT (Regional Education Development Tournament) is a programme designed to partner education activities with a competition to help develop wrestling across a region. Prior to the competition, a Level 3 Coaching course was conducted for 15 coaches from Great Britain (GBR), Austria (AUS), and the Netherlands (NED). This course focused on developing a coaching philosophy and an introduction into periodisation principles. 

The course was conducted by Mr. Zac DOMINGUEZ (USA). Coach Dominguez is a Gold Level Coach for USA Wrestling and has coached at numerous Continental and World Championship events. He also runs a top club and was able to relate very well to the coaches as many of them were coaching at their own clubs. “My favorite was discussing philosophy, because many of them had their own clubs and I could relate to their “problems” very well,” said Dominguez.

In addition to helping the coaches develop their philosophy for coaching, the course also targeted performance planning for wrestlers through video analysis, periodization principles, nutrition, and better understanding the rules of wrestling. The sessions included theoretical and practical sessions. Dr. Saam FALAHATI (Chief Medical Officer for British Wrestling) led the training on Nutrition and Hydration. Mr. Vaclav SCHEINER (CZE) was the assigned Referee Delegate for the competition and a certified UWW Educator. He conducted a session with the coaches on better understanding and using the rules of wrestling.

“The participants were very competent and understanding of the course materials. They were prepared very well from Level 1 and 2 UWW Certification. I was very pleased because we had great conversations and practical sessions” said Dominguez.

“British Wrestling targeted the level 3 UWW coaching course to help develop our coach’s knowledge of performance planning and developing athletes over the longer term," said Craig Anthony, Chief Executive Officer for British Wrestling. The course was expertly delivered and incredibly well received by our pathway coaches. Zac, Saam, and Vaclav provided expert knowledge and a fun learning environment that benefited everyone in the course. We are excited to see how this learning translates into improving our young developing athletes."

“After successfully finishing both levels 1 and 2 of the United World Wrestling coaching course, I was eagerly anticipating the opportunity to engage in the UWW level 3 course held in Manchester. During the program, I gained valuable insights into periodization in planning, video analysis, coaching philosophy development, evaluation of holds for Freestyle, Greco-Roman, and Women's Wrestling, as well as nutrition and hydration for wrestling," said Steve McKeown. "I extend my gratitude to UWW Educator Zac Dominguez from the USA, UWW Referee Václav Scheiner from the Czech Republic, UWW Doctor Saam Falahati from Scotland, and British Wrestling for hosting this event.”

#Anti-Doping

CAS dismisses Datunashvili appeal against anti-doping violation

By United World Wrestling Press

CORSIER-SUR-VEVEY, Switzerland (November 22) -- The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has upheld the five-year ban imposed on Zurabi DATUNASHVILI (SRB), dismissing his appeal against the sanction handed down last year.

The CAS Anti-Doping Division (CAS ADD) sanctioned Datunashvili with five years of ineligibility on September 19, 2024. He filed an appeal against the decision, but on November 17, 2025, CAS dismissed the appeal and confirmed the sanction. His period of ineligibility will run until April 10, 2028.

Datunashvili had been charged by the ITA with multiple anti-doping rule violations (ADRVs), including the use of urine substitution in the lead-up to the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games and the creation and use of a fabricated video as evidence to justify a missed out-of-competition doping control in 2022.

As a result of the sanction, all results obtained by Datunashvili from May 27, 2021, to April 11, 2023 (the date of his provisional suspension) were disqualified, including his bronze medal at the Tokyo Olympics and the gold medals he won at the 2021 and 2022 World Championships.