#BudaWrestle2018

Wrestling Releases Top Seeds for 2018 Senior World Championships

By United World Wrestling Press

CORSIER-SUR-VEVEY (October 5) – With less than three weeks until the start of the Wrestling World Championships in Budapest, United World Wrestling has released the names of wrestlers eligible to receive seeds in all 30 weight categories.

The 2018 Senior Wrestling World Championships are the first to utilize a ranking system for determination of competitive seeds. Previously athletes were randomly pulled into the brackets via a random draw. The new ranking series and seeding system were announced at the 2017 World Championships in Paris.

“We are excited to see the results of this year’s rankings on the competitiveness of the world championships,” said United World Wrestling president Nenad Lalovic. “We will pay close attention to the results and of course, if necessary, adjust some parts of the rankings to make better conditions for athletes and fans.”

Only wrestlers finishing within the top four of the pre-World’s competition calendar are eligible to receive a seed, and the seed is non-transferable to other wrestlers of the same national federation. If a seeded wrestler does not enter at their designated weight the seed goes to the next ranked wrestler.

For example, if the N°1 seed withdraws, the N°2 seed will take his position. Then the N°3 seed will take the position of the N°2 seed and the N°4 seed will take the position of the N°3 seed. The position of the N°4 seed will be free and be randomly drawn.

Wrestlers also may not carry their seed to a new weight class.

The rankings were determined by tallying points acquired at Continental championships and several Ranking Series tournaments (listed below). Results from the world championships will also be added to the rankings and final results will be listed later in the year.

Men’s Freestyle

Ivan Yarygin (RUS) | Tbilisi GP (GEO) | Yasar Dogu (TUR) | Medved (BLR)

Women’s Wrestling

Klippan Lady Open (SWE) | Mongolia Open (MGL) | China Open (CHN) | Poland Open (POL)  

Greco-Roman

Takhti Cup (IRI) | Granma y Cerro Pelado (CUB) | Hungarian GP (HUN) | Vehbi Emre (TUR)

** The full list of seeds can be found, here. **

#WrestleParis

Lopez announces comeback, eyes historic fifth Olympic gold

By Eric Olanowski

POREC, Croatia (May 23) -- The rumors are in the rearview and it’s official.

Mijain LOPEZ (CUB), the Beijing, London, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo Olympic champion, officially announced his return to wrestling to chase a record-setting fifth Olympic gold medal.

The Cuban superheavy is widely regarded as the Greatest of all Time, but he’s not interested in sharing a page in the history books with anyone else. He wants all the glory for himself.

"I’m coming back to wrestle at the Paris Olympic Games. I want to become the first wrestler to win five Olympic gold medals,” Lopez told United World Wrestling on Monday night.

Lopez, flanked by fellow Tokyo Olympic champions Luis ORTA (CUB) and Zhan BELENIUK (UKR), made the announcement from the international training camp in Poreč, Croatia, where he’s beginning his Paris preparations.

Lopez, who’ll be 41 years old this August, hung up his wrestling boots shortly after he won his fourth Olympic gold medal. But “The Kid” has since rekindled his desire to stand alone in wrestling history. He’s currently tied with Kaori ICHO (JPN) (who officially retired in 2020) as the only pair of wrestlers to win four Olympic titles.

A win for Lopez in Paris would also move him into the top spot as wrestling’s oldest Olympic champion -- dethroning Adolf LINDFORS (FIN) (41 years 6 months 12 days), Arsen MEKOKISHVILI (URS) (40 years 3 months 11 days) and Icho (32 years 2 months 4 days) --who hold the Greco-Roman, freestyle and women’s wrestling records, respectively.

The Cuban Giant will wrestle on August 6 at the 2024 Olympic Games and will be two weeks shy of his 42nd birthday, which would beat Lindfors’ record by nearly six months.

Lopez’s attention now turns to getting his massive body back down to the Olympic weight of 130kg/286 lbs.

“Right now, he has to focus on getting his weight under control, but I don’t think that’ll be a problem,” a source close to Lopez said. “He currently weighs 145kg/319 lbs. That seems like a big weight cut, but his body was in the same position heading into the Tokyo Olympics and he outscored everyone 24-0.”

For the time being, as Lopez gets his weight under control, Oscar PINO (CUB) will remain Cuba’s 130kg Greco-Roman starter.

Pino will compete at the 2023 World Championships, where he’ll have to qualify Cuba for the 2024 Olympic Games -- similar to the 2019 World Championships where he qualified for the Tokyo Olympic Games with his runner-up finish. He’ll again relinquish his spot and take a seat on the bench as Lopez chases Olympic history.

To access real-time match center data, get regular updates on tournaments and receive all the latest wrestling news in a flash. download #TheHomeOfWrestling, United World Wrestling's mobile app today on Apple Itunes or Google Play.