Development

Wrestling Delivers First-Ever Level 2 Coaches Course

By United World Wrestling Press

MANCHESTER, United Kingdom (September 25) – United World Wrestling delivered its first-ever Level 2 Coaching Course last week to a group of coaches in England.

The participants were asked to design and teach skill progression on the 7 Basic Skills of Wrestling, as well as design developing practice sessions on the four training phases. Overall the course included more than 40 hours of instruction and practical assessment.

“There was 40+ hours of instruction and practical assessments,” “The course was very interactive, and the participants had to design and deliver material to the other participants,” said UWW education manager Zach Errett. “The hands-on model increased the group’s collaboration and led to a very dynamic environment.”

Coaches also analyzed a video of one wrestler and evaluate strengths and areas of improvement for their wrestler, and the opponent. Following the video, coaches were asked to deliver a training session that would address the areas of improvement noted in the video.

The course was aimed at coaches living in the United Kingdom, an area still working to develop several basics for their wrestlers.

“I thought the coaches that attended did a phenomenal job throughout the week,’ said Errett. “They came with a great attitude and effort each day.”

UWW Statement on 2026 World Championships

By United World Wrestling Press

Joint Statement from United World Wrestling, the Bahrain Olympic Committee, and the Bahrain Wrestling Federation

CORSIER-SUR-VEVEY, Switzerland (May 22) -- United World Wrestling (UWW), in close coordination with the Bahrain Olympic Committee and the Bahrain Wrestling Federation, announces the postponement of the 2026 World Championships originally scheduled to take place from October 24 to November 1 in the Kingdom of Bahrain.

This decision has been made after careful and responsible consideration of the current geopolitical situation in the region, particularly the ongoing uncertainty surrounding the pending conflict involving the Gulf region and its broader impact on regional stability and international travel. While Bahrain remains fully committed to hosting world-class sporting events, all parties believe that the safety, confidence, and overall experience of athletes, officials, delegations, partners, and fans must remain the highest priority.

As organizations dedicated to the growth and integrity of international sport, UWW, the Bahrain Olympic Committee, and the Bahrain Wrestling Federation believe it is important to make this decision with adequate time and transparency, rather than waiting until the final stages of preparation. Acting responsibly now allows sufficient opportunity to evaluate a potential new host nation for 2026, so the competition host can be identified and the event can be prepared in a professional and orderly manner.

Wrestling has always been more than competition. It is a bridge between nations, cultures, and people. At a time when the world faces uncertainty and division, we are reminded that sport remains a universal language of peace, respect, and unity. It is in this spirit that UWW, the Bahrain Olympic Committee, and the Bahrain Wrestling Federation issue this joint statement together.

We would like to express our sincere gratitude to the global wrestling family -- athletes, national federations, coaches, officials, partners, and supporters around the world -- for their understanding, solidarity, and continued support. United World Wrestling works with the national members in close cooperation, trust, and shared commitment to protecting the interests of the sport and its community worldwide.

Further updates regarding future dates and hosting considerations will be communicated in due course.