#TurkiyeWrestling

UWW mourns death of nine wrestlers 

By United World Wrestling Press

COSIER-SUR-VEVEY, Switzerland (February 11) -- Five days after multiple earthquakes hit the Kahramanmaraş province in southwest Turkiye, nine wrestlers were confirmed dead on Friday.  

In the aftermath of the earthquake which measured 7.8 on the Richter scale, people were stuck under the rubble and large-scale efforts are still continuing to save lives.

The following are the nine wrestlers that we have lost:

Mehmet ESKISARILI
Ahmet TAS
Ali GURSOY
Eray SIMSEK
Halil EDIRNE
Hasan SARITURK
Ozan TATLI
Ahmet DURMAN
Aslan EKIZ

United World Wrestling mourns their death.

"It is with a heavy heart to report we have lost nine wrestlers in the earthquakes that took place on February 6,” Nenad LALOVIC, UWW President, said “I ask that we remember these wrestlers, say their names aloud and pray for them and their families. The whole entire wrestling community is devastated by the loss of these young men who had a bright future ahead of them.”

More than 25,000 people have died so far as the earthquake hit Kahramanmaraş, affecting southwest Turkiye and northwest Syria.

A U20 wrestling tournament finished hours a night before the earthquake struck. Teams from France, Uzbekistan, Kosvo and Turkiye were participating in it. All the international wrestlers were sent home safely the next day. However, with the wrestling club demolished, a few Turkish wrestlers were stuck under the rubble.

On the first day, 21 wrestlers were saved immediately and others were subsequently rescued from under the rubble.

Olympic champion Taha AKGUL (TUR) was among the first ones to call for help and save the "30-40 wrestlers" stuck under the rubble. Four-time world champion Riza KAYAALP (TUR), Kerem KAMAL (TUR) and many others have volunteered and reached the earthquake-affected areas. They have joined hands to help and rescue the victims. The wrestling community around the world has shown support and donated to help Turkiye.

President of the Turkish Wrestling Federation Seref EROGLU, who belongs to Kahramanmaras, has been present at the site from the first day and joined the rescue operations.

#development

Niamkey elected to Advisory Board of the International Council for Coaching Excellence

By United World Wrestling Press

CORSIER-SUR-VEVEY, Switzerland (February 2) -- Deqa NIAMKEY, United World Wrestling's Development Director, has been elected as a Board Member of the International Council for Coaching Excellence (ICCE) by the ICCE General Assembly during the 14th ICCE Global Coach Conference in Singapore.

"I am honored to join such a distinguished organization, working to enhance the coaching education pathways with renowned experts. UWW is working to establish a coaches certification program in collaboration with worldwide universities. Being a member of the ICCE advisory board will provide me with the tools to implement this exciting project," said Niamkey. "I would like to thank our President, Mr. Nenad Lalovic, for his trust and endorsement and ASOIF for their continued support."

Niamkey will serve in office for two years (2024-2025), with an option to be re-elected by the General Assembly in Athens in 2025.

More information on ICCE:
The mission of the ICCE is to lead and support the development of sport coaching globally.

The ICCE is a not-for-profit, global organization that aims to lead and develop sport coaching globally. ICCE members seek to enhance the quality of coaching at every level of sport.

The International Council for Coaching Excellence (ICCE) was established on September 24, 1997, by delegates representing 15 countries during the second International Coach Education Summit held at Wingate Institute, Netanya, Israel. The idea of creating an international body to represent coaches and coaching was discussed by Uri Schaefer from Israel, Jurgen Kotzel from Germany and Sue Campbell from UK at the 1994 meeting marking the 20th anniversary of the Trainerakademie in Cologne, Germany.