#NFRoundup

NF Roundup: Nov. 23-27 (Updated)

By United World Wrestling Press

The Uzbekistan women's national team doing joint training at the Yangiabad Sports Base in Tashkent, Uzbekistan, from Nov. 21 - Dec. 11.

The Uzbekistan's freestyle national team doing joint training at the Dinamo Sports Base in Tashkent, Uzbekistan, from Nov. 25 - Dec. 9.

Iranian wrestling great Mohammad KHADEM passed away at the age of 85. Khadem served as Iran's national team coach for several years and was a 1962 world silver medalist as a competitor. 

Khadem was the father of Iranian champions Rasul and Amir Reza. He helped his sons achieve Olympic and world medals in freestyle wrestling. Mohammad Khadem coached his son Rasul in the final match of the 1996 Olympics against legendry Makharbek KHADARTSEV (USSR).

Rasul was an Olympic champion in 1996 and claimed a bronze medal at the 1992 Olympics. He also won two gold medals and one silver medal at the world championships.

Amir Reza was a two-time Olympic medalist, winning bronze medals in 1992 and 1996. He was also a 1991 world champion and 1990 world bronze medalist. 

United World Wrestling and the wrestling community offer its condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Khadem and the Iranian Wrestling Federation.

The Romanian Wrestling Federation this week is celebrating their 90th year on the mats.  The official founding papers were signed in the city of Oradea in 1930.

Currently the Romanian Wrestling Federation is one of the top federations in the nation placing 5th in the all-time medal count for Olympic Games and World Championships.

The Wrestling Federation of Uzbekistan has completed its national tournament for Greco-Roman, women's wrestling and freestyle. The six day event will help determine who can compete in the 2021 tournaments on the UWW calendar.

Highlights from matches in the Greco-Roman tournament are below.

by Ikuo Higuchi, JWF // Photo Courtesy of RIZIN

Rio Olympic silver medalist and reigning world champion Shinobu OTA (JPN) will put his Greco-Roman skills to the test in mixed martial arts (MMA) by taking to the ring in a RIZIN Fighting Federation extravaganza on New Year's Eve. 

Ota, who won the 63kg world title last year in Kazakhstan, used the occasion of an MMA event in Osaka on Nov. 21 to announce his entry in the Dec. 31 event to be held at Saitama Super Arena, north of Tokyo. 

Ota appeared in the ring along with his opponent, veteran MMA fighter Hideo TOKORO. The 43-year-old Tokoro has been competing for nearly two decades.

"I am Shinobu Ota from the wrestling world," Ota said by way of introduction to the crowd at Osaka Castle Hall. "I was surprised at first to learn I would be fighting Tokoro at the RIZIN event on New Year's Eve. 

"He is a fighter I have been watching since I was little, so I am apprehensive [about facing] a fighter who I really like. But when the fight starts, it's a different story. I will prepare so that I can score a decisive victory."

The 26-year-old Ota had joined in workouts with MMA groups in the past. "I have a little trepidation, but I have no intention of losing," he said. "I want this to lead to bigger things."

Ota started wrestling at the Hachinohe Kids in Aomori Prefecture, one of the top kids clubs in the country. He went on to great success at Yanai Gakuin High School in Yamaguchi Prefecture and Yokohama-based Nippon Sports Science University, winning a string of titles. 

In 2015, he won his first All-Japan championship, and the following year he became Japan's first Olympic medalist in Greco-Roman in 16 years, beating the 2012 London gold medalist en route to the 59kg silver in Rio.

After failing to make Japan's team in the Olympic weight class of 60kg for last year's world championships, Ota moved up to 63kg and won out in the qualifying process to earn a ticket to the Kazakh capital of Nur-Sultan in that division. He defeated the defending champion to secure his first world gold medal.

After that, he made an attempt to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics in the next weight class of 67kg, but came up short at the All-Japan Championships in December last year, closing off his path to the Tokyo Games. In September, he resigned from his company ALSOK in preparation for his new challenge.

There are currently many fighters in MMA with wrestling backgrounds. Henry CEJUDO (USA), a freestyle gold medalist at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, achieved titles in two weight classes in Ultimate Fighting Championsip (UFC), which is regarded as the highest level of MMA. 

Amir ALIAKBARI (IRI), a 2010 Greco world champion, also found success on the RIZIN circuit. Daniel CORMIER (USA), who finished fourth in freestyle at the 2004 Athens Olympics, went on to shine in UFC, winning both the light heavyweight and heavyweight belts.

When it comes to reigning world or Olympic champions getting involved in MMA, there are several examples. 

In February 1999, superstar Alexandre KARELIN (RUS), with a combined 11 consecutive global Greco titles at the worlds and Olympics to his name, fought in a Fighting Network RINGS event in Japan, defeating Akira MAEDA by decision. At the time, MMA bouts were fought with bare hands. 

In December 2004, Athens Olympic Greco-Roman champion Karam IBRAGIM (EGY) fought at a K-1 Premium Dynamite event in Japan, but lost by KO to Tomoyuki FUJITA, a former freestyle wrestler who went on to a successful career in pro wrestling and MMA.

In both cases, the wrestlers were aiming for the next Olympics and their forays into MMA were seen as one-off outings. Neither fought in MMA again. 

Thus it can be said that Ota will be the first reigning world champion to switch to MMA. 

#WrestleBelgrade

Wrestling scores 443% engagement growth as UWW+ makes World C’ships debut

By United World Wrestling Press

CORSIER-SUR-VEVEY, Switzerland (October 18) –– United World Wrestling (UWW) trebled its year-on-year (YoY) digital viewership and recorded more than five times as many social engagements at this year’s UWW World Championships (WCH23) in Belgrade, Serbia, as the sport debuted an upgraded digital portfolio, including the new UWW+ over-the-top (OTT) service.

The multi-tiered, premium subscription streaming platform registered 4.36 million livestream views throughout the 2023 edition of UWW’s flagship event, held between September 16-24. The event also recorded 25 million social engagements (+443% over WCH22) and 155 million video views across its digital platforms (+203% over WCH22).

The impressive growth coincides with the redesign of the UWW website and the introduction of an enhanced fan-data ecosystem to help personalize and deliver an easy-to-navigate fan experience across web, social media, and UWW’s dedicated mobile app. Overall, WCH23 grew its digital reach by 63% to 296 million and attracted over 404,000 new followers.

Nenad LALOVIC, UWW President, said: “By diversifying the fan experience at this year’s World Championships, UWW has once again proven the power of digital transformation for driving engagement and expanding wrestling’s global audience. The latest numbers demonstrate the importance of digitalization and to lay the foundations for expanding the sport’s digital audience.”

Gordon Templeman, UWW’s Director of Commercial Operations and Communications, said: “UWW is establishing a digital portfolio which allows us to offer a personalized fan experience. To do this, we have diversified by investing in customer-facing digital products which enhances the digital experience for wrestling fans and enables UWW’s sponsors and commercial partners to build a direct relationship with our global audience.”

UWW
Key highlights from the WCH23 data analysis include: 

  • 25 million social media engagements (+443% over WCH22)
  • 155 million total video views (+203% over WCH22)
  • 404,000 new followers (+167% over WCH22)
  • 296 million digital reach (+63% over WCH22)
  • 4.36 million livestream views on UWW+

The UWW+ streaming platform is integrated within UWW’s website and mobile app, as part of the upgrades to UWW’s digital inventory and marks the latest phase of the International Federation’s collaboration with N3XT Sports, the end-to-end digital transformation consultancy. UWW has identified and prioritized digital transformation as one of the five pillars for its 2022-2026 Strategic Plan, which was presented and approved at the 2021 UWW Congress.

Motasem El Bawab, N3XT Sports’ Chief Information Officer (CIO), said: “Our team at N3XT Sports offers an end-to-end service plugged into UWW’s wider digital team. In addition to UWW+ and wrestling’s new, first-class streaming offering, our team also supported every aspect of UWW’s digital operation throughout WCH23, across digital marketing, customer relationship management (CRM), while optimizing the fan journey through data analytics and the assistance of artificial intelligence-driven software solutions.”

Click here to review the 2023 Senior World Championships case study.