#WrestleBelgrade

Lalovic Re-Elected as UWW President For Six-Year Term

By Vinay Siwach

BELGRADE, Serbia (October 31) – The United World Wrestling held its Congress Sunday and Nenad LALOVIC was re-elected as the President of UWW along with six bureau members in Belgrade, Serbia.

Lalovic, first elected to the post in 2013, will serve a fresh term till 2026 after standing unopposed for the post. Due to the delayed Congress owing to the COVID-19 pandemic, five years remain in his term.

Six bureau members were also elected with Fouad MESKOUT (MAR), Mikhail MAMIASHVILI (RUS), Pedro GAMA FILHO (BRA) and Akhroldjan RUZIEV (UZB) retaining their place after their six-year term came to an end.

Don RYAN (CAN) and Lucio CANEVA (ITA) were the two newly elected members of the bureau. The elected members will serve till 2026.

Lalovic, who is also a member of the International Olympic Committee Executive Board, thanked the members of the Congress for their confidence in him since taking over as the President eight years ago.

The 63-year-old's re-election was due in 2020 before the COVID-19 pandemic which forced UWW to postpone the Congress.

At the Congress, there were 104 eligible voters out of which 103 were cast for the election of bureau members with a majority of 52 votes.

Meskout, Mamiashvili, Ryan, Gama and Ruziev were elected with a clear majority in the first round. The sixth member did not get a clear majority, therefore a second round was conducted after which Caneva was elected to the bureau with 58 votes.

The Congress gathers every two years to discuss a range of topics and in Belgrade, Lalovic stressed the new initiatives in women’s wrestling, promotion of associated styles, youth engagement, the image of wrestling and digital transformation.

Cape Verde, Kuwait Get Affiliation

CPV

In the same direction, Congress approved the affiliation of two new nations -- Cape Verde and Kuwait. Both the nations were also granted voting rights during Congress.

“The support from UWW has been immense and this affiliation is a huge thing for our country,” Secretary-General of the Cape Verde Wrestling Federation Anthony WESLEY (CPV) said. “We have waited for this for a long time. It's been a process which began in 1996.”

Wrestlers from Cape Verde were part of the World Olympic Qualifiers in Sofia, Bulgaria earlier this year.

For Kuwait, the affiliation gives an opportunity to grow the sport and include more kids in the sport.

“We are very excited about this,” wrestler Mohammed ABDULKAREEM (KUW) said. “It began as a small effort but we are here now. We only have the senior team but now we can start the cadet, junior and other levels as well. Thanks to UWW”

Details of the Congress can be found on uww.org.

#JapanWrestling

Tokyo silver medalist Fumita dealt setback on path to Paris Olympics

By Ken Marantz

TOKYO (June 13) -- The path to the 2024 Paris Olympics just got a little bumpier for Tokyo silver medalist Kenichiro FUMITA.

Fumita, the runner-up in Tokyo and a two-time former world champion at Greco 60kg, has pulled out of the upcoming Meiji Cup All-Japan Invitational Championships, Japan's second domestic qualifying tournament for this year's World Championships.

Fumita revealed on his Twitter account that he suffered a torn hamstring and had withdrawn from the Meiji Cup, to be held June 15-18 in Tokyo. That means for him to make Japan's team to the Belgrade worlds, he will have to beat the Meiji Cup champion in a playoff on July 1.

The 27-year-old Fumita wrote that he had undergone treatment for the injury but had decided it was best to play it safe by pulling out of the Meiji Cup, and would "aim to earn a place at the World Championshps in the playoff."

Last December, Fumita won the title at the Emperor's Cup All-Japan Championships, the first of the two domestic qualifiers for the World Championships. He could have secured his ticket to Belgrade with a title at the Meiji Cup, but now will have to rely on a victory in the winner-take-all playoff.

For Japanese wrestlers in Olympic weight classes, getting to Belgrade takes on additional significance. The 2023 worlds offers the first qualifying spots for the 2024 Paris Olympics, and a medal in an Olympic weight class will earn a Japanese wrestler an automatic ticket to Paris.

Of course, should Fumita lose the playoff or not be recovered enough to take part, there is no assurance that the wrestler who earns the spot will win a medal in Belgrade. In that case, then Fumita would have another chance by representing Japan at the Olympic qualifiers in 2024.

But that means leaving his fate in others' hands. It seems likely he will be on the mat for the playoff, even if he is not at 100 percent.

The injury spoiled what had been a productive run for Fumita since the Tokyo Olympics, where he was left in tears after losing in the final to Luis ORTA SANCHEZ (CUB). After that, he won the title at the Wladyslaw Pytlasinski Cup in Warsaw in July 2022, then took a bronze medal the following September at the World Championships in Belgrade, adding to his golds from 2017 and 2019.

At the Emperor's Cup, the link to the Paris Olympics led to a funnelling of top wrestlers into the Olympic weight classes, and Fumita fended off all comers at 60kg to win his fourth national title and first since 2020.

The weight class includes Maito KAWANA and Ayata SUZUKI, Asian bronze medalists in 2023 and 2022, respectively, and Yu SHIOTANI, the Asian champion and world bronze medalist at 55kg in 2022. Also looking to fill the hole left by Fumita is Kaito INABA, who finished seventh at the world U23 in 2022 -- he threw Fumita for a rare 4 in a 7-4 quarterfinal loss at the Emperor's Cup.