#WrestleZagreb

Iran, USA share top honors at Zagreb Open

By Vinay Siwach

ZAGREB, Croatia (February 1) -- For those who watched Hassan YAZDANI (IRI) wrestle on Wednesday, the most difficult task would be to find a chink in his armor. Sure, Hayato ISHIGURO (JPN) managed to score a takedown on Yazdani using a powerful single leg to go behind. Barring that moment in which he was caught off-guard, Yazdani opened his season with a 44-2 routing of his opponents to win the gold medal at the Zagreb Open Ranking Series event.

In his first tournament since the loss to David TAYLOR (USA) in the World Championships final last year, Yazdani was at his usual calm on the mat and managed to run through the 86kg field in Zagreb.

The season-opening Ranking Series event is the first under the new rule of a two-kilogram allowance for wrestlers and offers prize money to the medal winners.

Yazdani, along with five other gold medalists, pocketed 1500 Swiss Francs while the silver medalists got 750 Swiss Francs. The two bronze medalists in each of the six weight classes got 500 Swiss Francs each.

Ishiguro, who surprised many by reaching the final at 86kg, opened the score in the final against Yazdani but as the Iranian continued his high-pressure, underhook dominated game, Ishiguro had no answers.

Yazdani scored via pushouts combined with two takedowns for a 7-2 lead. Ishiguro tried a bodylock, but Yazdani managed to counter it with a four before a double leg to win 13-2.

After the final, Ishiguro said that he tried saving his stamina against Yazdani which stopped him from giving his 100 percent in the final.

Reza ATRI (IRI)Reza ATRI (IRI) won the 61kg gold medal. (Photo: UWW / Kadir Caliskan)

This was Iran's second gold of the night as Reza ATRI (IRI) won the 61kg gold over Narankhuu NARMANDAKH (MGL). While he only led 5-3 at the break, Atri dominated the second period and gave no chance to Narmandakh. He used an underhook to four to secure the fall in the final.

The USA also won two gold medals as Alec PANTALEO (USA) scored his second career win over Haji ALIYEV (AZE) and Jason NOLF (USA) impressed in his 3-3 win over World Championships bronze medalist Yones EMAMI (IRI).

At 70kg, Pantaleo faced Aliyev and rode high on confidence as he defeated Aliyev at the Polan Open Ranking Series event in 2021. Taking lessons from that bout, Pantaleo did not let Aliyev use the snapdown from the wrist and came out on top 5-2.

Alec PANTALEO (USA)Alec PANTALEO (USA) secured his second career win over Haji ALIYEV (AZE). (Photo: UWW / Kadir Caliskan)

While Pantaleo acknowledged the size and strength difference between him and Aliyev, who usually wrestles at 65kg, he said his skill set of Aliyev makes him very dangerous.

Pantaleo scored a takedown before an activity point gave him a 3-0 lead at the break. Aliyev managed to score a takedown early in the second period but his attempts to snap Pantaleo did not work. The American got two more points when Aliyev made a desperate attempt in the final few seconds.

Nolf's final against Emami at 74kg was much closer as his takedown in the second period proved to be the difference in the bout. He also made sure to not give up a takedown when Emami was pressuring him. Emami scored three stepouts which were not enough.

In the post-match interview, Nolf explained that in the past, he missed closing out tight matches so a win in such a bout was a confidence booster.

Aliabbas RZAZADE (AZE)Aliabbas RZAZADE (AZE) won the gold medal at 57kg over Yuto NISHIUCHI (JPN). (Photo: UWW / Kostadin Andonov)

The first gold medal of the day went to Aliabbas RZAZADE (AZE), who ended the dream run of U20 world champion Yuto NISHIUCHI (JPN) by winning the final 2-0. Rzazade looked like the wrestler to beat in the weight class despite some hiccups on the way to the final.

He began with Wanhao ZOU (CHN) and came out of it with a 14-8 before beating compatriot Islam BAZARGANOV (AZE) 10-0 in the quarterfinal. He did survive a scare against Beka BUJIASHVILI (GEO) in the semifinals but managed to win 4-2.

Nishiuchi entered the final from the other side of the bracket with impressive wins over Darian CRUZ (PUR), Zane RICHARDS (USA) and U23 world champion AMAN (IND). He gave up points in all three bouts but scored a lot of his own as well.

But when the 18-year-old met Rzazade in the final, he failed to break the defense of the former U23 world champion. Rzazade got a passivity point in the first period and when Nishiuchi up the ante in the second, Rzazade scrapped out a stepout to win 2-0 in a tight final.

Tulga TUMUR-OCHIR (MGL)Tulga TUMUR-OCHIR (MGL) defeated Joseph MCKENNA (USA) in the 65kg final. (Photo: UWW / Kostadin Andonov)

Tumur Ochir wins 65kg

Not much weight is put on Tulga TUMUR OCHIR (MGL)'s name but he showed that he is yet another contender in the ever-strong 65kg as he won the gold in Zagreb.

He came out with some nasty finishes using his underhooks, defeating Ismail MUSUKAEV (HUN) in the semifinal and later scoring a 4-1 win over Joseph MCKENNA (USA) in the final.

The underhook was the lethal weapon that his opponents had no counter to. McKenna was toe-to-toe with Tumur Ochir but could not stop him from scoring takedowns on either side of the break. McKenna scored a stepout late in the bout but it was not enough.

ALL PHOTOS: DAY 1 Zagreb Open

RESULTS

57kg
GOLD: Aliabbas RZAZADE (AZE) df. Yuto NISHIUCHI (JPN), 2-0

BRONZE: AMAN (IND) df. Zane RICHARDS (USA), 10-4
BRONZE: Beka BUJIASHVILI (GEO) df. Islam BAZARGANOV (AZE), 4-4

61kg
GOLD: Reza ATRI (IRI) df. Narankhuu NARMANDAKH (MGL), via fall

BRONZE: Emrah ORMANOGLU (TUR) df. Adam BIBOULATOV (FRA), 10-0
BRONZE: Gamzatgadzhi KHALIDOV (HUN) df. Shota PHARTENADZE (GEO), 8-2

65kg
GOLD: Tulga TUMUR OCHIR (MGL) df. Joseph MC KENNA (USA),  4-1

BRONZE: Evan HENDERSON (USA) df. Ismail MUSUKAEV (HUN), via fall (10-14)
BRONZE: Ali RAHIMZADA (AZE) df. Ryoma ANRAKU (JPN), 12-1

70kg
GOLD: Alec PANTALEO (USA) df. Haji ALIYEV (AZE), 5-2

BRONZE: Giorgi ELBAKIDZE (GEO) df. Temuulen ENKHTUYA (MGL), 8-2
BRONZE: Khadzhimurad GADZHIYEV (AZE) df. Vishal KALIRAMANA (IND), 10-0

74kg
GOLD: Jason NOLF (USA) df. Yones EMAMI (IRI), 3-3

BRONZE: Dzhabrail GADZHIEV (AZE) df. Murad KURAMAGOMEDOV (HUN), 5-0
BRONZE: Fazli ERYILMAZ (TUR) df. Joseph LAVALLEE (USA), 6-4

86kg
GOLD: Hassan YAZDANI (IRI) df. Hayato ISHIGURO (JPN), 13-2 

BRONZE: Zahid VALENCIA (USA) df. Myles AMINE (SMR), 6-0
BRONZE: Mark HALL (USA) df. Abubakr ABAKAROV (AZE), 7-3

#JapanWrestling

Olympic champ Fumita joins Ono as late withdrawal from Emperor's Cup

By Ken Marantz

TOKYO (December 17) -- Five days after former world champion Masanosuke ONO made the stunning announcement that he was pulling out of the Emperor's Cup All-Japan Championships, another high-profile star aborted a long-awaited return to action by joining him on the sidelines.

Olympic champion Kenichiro FUMITA announced Wednesday on the eve of the tournament that he was withdrawing due to an injury, keeping him out of what would have been his first tournament since his triumph at the Paris Olympics.

Fumita, who won the Paris gold at Greco 60kg but was entered at 63kg, made the announcement on his X account. Without disclosing the injury, he said it "was not a major injury that will have an effect on my wrestling career, but I feel it is not worth the risk at this time so I decided to withdraw."

The Emperor's Cup is also serving as the domestic qualifier for the 2026 Asian Championships, and as the first of two national domestic qualifiers for this year's World Championships and Asian Games. The latter holds particular significance in that Japan will be hosting the event.

Fumita, the silver medalist at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics and a two-time former world champion, had only competed at 63kg once in his career, at the 2023 German Grand Prix, where he placed second as a warmup for the World Championships, where he took home the silver.

The 30-year-old was due to take the mat on Thursday, the first day of the four-day tournament at Tokyo's Komazawa Gym.

"I deeply apologize to everyone who was looking forward [to seeing me] and to all those involved [with the tournament]," Fumita said. "I will make the utmost effort to be in top condition and be able to perform at the next competition."

Last Friday, Ono announced that he had withdrawn for health reasons, a move that indefinitely delays his return to the mats of his native country.

Ono revealed on social media that he had been diagnosed with a kidney problem, possibly linked to cutting weight to get down to 57kg, according to a report by Japan's top wrestling website Wrestling Spirits.

Ono has been competing at either 61kg or 65kg in recent years, and the stress of getting down to 57kg might have taken too big a toll. Ono said that he had gotten near 57kg the previous week when he experienced thickening of the urine, which can be regarded as a sign of dehydration.

Upon consultation with a doctor, it was decided "I will play it safe this time," Ono said.

The 22-year-old Ono has become a worldwide sensation, first by winning the senior world title at freestyle 61kg in 2024 with one-sided victories that included beating a past Olympic gold medalist and the reigning world champion, then for leaving the comfort of Yamanashi Gakuin University for the challenge of competing in American folkstyle at powerhouse Penn State University.

The Emperor's Cup would have provided a rare chance for Ono to compete in a freestyle tournament again, the first step on the path to getting back to the World Championships.

Ono said he will now return to Penn State, where he will resume his introduction into folkstyle. While he is redshirting this year -- the system that allows him to train with the team but not enter official competitions to preserve a year of eligibility -- he plans to enter an open tournament in January.

As pointed out by Wrestling Spirits, the big issue facing Ono now is whether or not he will be afforded a spot in the Meiji Cup All-Japan Invitational Championships in May next year, which will be the second domestic qualifier for the worlds and Asian Games.

As the name implies, the field is limited to invitees, using criteria set by the Japan Wrestling Federation based on results from major competitions over the past year. There are exceptions made for a wrestler who has been out of action for an extended time but has achieved "particularly outstanding results."

In the past, this has been interpreted to mean medaling at an Olympics, as the majority of wrestlers take time off following Olympic success. The question the federation will have to answer is, will a world title in 2024 earn Ono an invitation?

Asked directly by Wrestling Spirits, Kenji INOUE, the federation's chairman of the technical enhancement committee, replied, "At this stage, nothing has been decided."

There is one incentive for the publicity-starved JWF to include Ono in the Meiji Cup field -- it could set up a classic match-up between him and Paris Olympic champion Rei HIGUCHI.

Higuchi has not competed since winning the Paris gold, but has already stated he plans to return at the Meiji Cup with eyes on a first Asian Games appearance.

Ono has not competed in Japan since June 2024, when he participated in the East Japan Collegiate League, a team competition in which he helped Yamanashi Gakuin win the Division I title.

After winning the gold at the Non-Olympic Weight Class World Championships in Tirana in October 2024, he revealed he had been dealing with a broken ankle.

That kept him out of competition for awhile, then early in 2025, he headed across the Pacific to begin training with the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club. In March, he made the blockbuster announcement that he would enroll at Penn State.

Ono had been entered at 57kg at the Bill Farrell Memorial Invitational in New York in November, but was a late withdrawal for undisclosed reasons.

At the Emperor's Cup, Olympic weight classes will be contested over two days in the same format at the World Championships, while non-Olympic weights will be finished in a single day.

Although Fumita will no longer be competing, fellow Paris gold medalist Yuka KAGAMI will be making her return to the mat for the first time since her Olympic triumph at women's 76kg, which gets started on Thursday.