Grappling

Future is Bright for Grappling in Kazakhstan

By Marc Berman

ASTANA, Kazakhstan (September 9th) -- The Kazakhstani grappling team may not have won a bevy of gold medals, but the Central Asian nation showed great improvement at the 2018 Grappling World Championships.

After four tough days of competition the host nation walked away with a 3rd place finish in the women’s senior division and fifth place in the men’s senior division. The nation also boasted finalists in the women’s 53kg and 58kg division and scored a bronze and silver on the men’s side.

In preparation for the World Championships Kazakhstan hosted qualifying events in multiple cities before the national qualifier earlier this year.

Head grappling coach Renat SITNAZAROV was pleased with the process of forming the team. “We were able to gather our strongest athletes together and bring them here for the championships.”

In preparation for the event the team brought together athletes from around the country to train together and work on new techniques. In preparation for Grappling events team members compete in various other styles, freestyle, Greco-Roman, judo, sambo and jiu-jitsu.

When it came time for the actual competition Sitnazarov and his coaching staff worked with each athlete before each round to develop a winning strategy.

Since 2010 Coach Renat has seen grappling take off in Kazakhstan, becoming more popular every year. “I see Grappling growing every year and is now very popular with many athletes taking part of events here in Kazakhstan. Now with athletes such as Miyao coming from other styles to compete in Grappling, I see it becoming a big event.”

Catch up on all the action you miss on Flograppling.com in the United States and internationally on United World Wrestling.

#UnitedWorldWrestling

UWW President Lalovic re-elected as IOC member

By United World Wrestling Press

MUMBAI, India (October 16) -- United World Wrestling President Nenad LALOVIC has been re-elected as an International Olympic Committee member at its 141st session in Mumbai, India on Monday.

Lalovic, also a member of the IOC Executive Board, was first elected as an IOC member in 2015 for an eight-year term. He was re-elected unanimously for a new eight-year term.

As an IOC EB member, Lalovic was first elected in 2018 and then re-elected in 2022 in Beijing for a four-year term. He also serves on the WADA Executive Committee and the ASOIF Council.

"It's a privilege to be part of the IOC," Lalovic said. "I am humbled by the continuous support of the IOC members. I will continue to work towards the success of the Olympic Movement."

The 65-year-old was the first wrestling president to be elected as an IOC member in 2015, two years after being elected as the president of UWW in February 2013. He worked to keep wrestling in the Olympic program, rebranding and modernizing the sport and is also credited for bringing transparency and accountability to the workings of the federation.

"Representing our wrestling family in the IOC and Olympic Movement is also a great honor," he said. "It's a sport that teaches a lot to everyone involved and it only makes me confident that I will use those values to work towards a better delivery of my position in the Olympic Movement."