2020 World Championships

Executive Committee Confirms Wrestling World Championships for Belgrade in December

By United World Wrestling Press

CORSIER-SUR-VEVEY, Switzerland (October 12) - The United World Wrestling Executive Committee today approved existing plans to host the 2020 Senior Wrestling World Championships December 12-20 in Belgrade, Serbia.

The committee approved the championships after receiving commitments from more than 70-percent of National Federations, a participation hurdle it had set for itself last month. The bureau will meet November 6th to discuss any changes to the event due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and it’s impact on participation.

“We are cautiously optimistic about wrestling’s return in December,” said United World Wrestling president Nenad LALOVIC. “The safety of our athletes, coaches, and staff is our top priority and we will be taking every measure to ensure that happens in Belgrade.”

The Junior Wrestling World Championships, originally scheduled for the week prior, were cancelled after feedback from the national federations indicated concerns about the number of participants able to attend.

The Congress, originally scheduled for the same week, will be discussed in the coming weeks as more information is made available from national federations.

#WrestleTirana

UWW Europe Concludes General Assembly in Tirana

By United World Wrestling Press

TIRANA, Albania (April 19) — The United World Wrestling European Council held its General Assembly in Tirana on Sunday, on the eve of the European Championships.

The Assembly was chaired by Europe Council President Karl Martin DITTMANN. It was attended by UWW President Nenad LALOVIC, the Council members as well as Secretary General Carlos ROY. Representatives from 30 National Federations were also registered. 

Dittmann presented the annual report of UWW Europe along with finance, budget and program reports.

Lalovic addressed the Assembly and focused on the aspects of developing wrestling and increasing the visibility of the sport.

“We are trying to be one of the most interesting sport to be followed by spectators on television, social media and our platform where we have achieved good results,” Lalovic said. “We believe that we can do much better and we are focused on that”

From the annual report of European Council, a special report was presented on the promotional program for Women’s Wrestling Europe.

Started in 2023, the project was continued in 2024 and 2025 with 11 countries selected for promotion last year. 

These countries were Austria, Croatia, Spain, Estonia, Finland, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, North Macedonia, Switzerland and Sweden.

The postponed project for GBR from 2024 was implemented in 2025.

UWW Europe also developed its own website to achieve better visibility. The new website is - uww-europe.eu.