#WrestleIstanbul

Bas cuts down, wins Paris quota; Stadnik suffers setback at World Qualifier

By Vinay Siwach

ISTANBUL, Turkiye (May 10) --  The last time Nesrin BAS (TUR) competed in 62kg or less was in 2018 at the U17 level. Since then, as Bas continued wrestling, she moved up to 65kg, then to 68kg and even to 72kg.

But as the Paris Olympics approached, Bas had to leave the 68kg weight category for world and European champion Bose TOSUN (TUR) who qualified for the weight by winning the gold medal at the World Championships. Former world champion and Tokyo Olympic bronze medalist Yasemin ADAR (TUR) won the spot at 76kg from the European Qualifier. That left Bas with only one option -- to return to 62kg.

Bas, who was not sure if going to 62kg was a good idea, got rewarded for her sacrifices as she qualified 62kg weight class for the Paris Olympics with a thrilling performance in front of her home crowd.

"I cut a lot of weight," Bas said. "First I wasn't that positive that I could endure cutting weight but my coach helped me and believed me to get it done."

In a very first-period dominated bout against Astrid MONTERO (VEN), Bas managed to hang on for a 10-6 win and earn herself a ticket to Paris Olympics. Montero scored the first takedown and got on a single-leg but Bas tossed her to get two points. She used the lace to add three turns to be up 8-2. Montero got on a few attacks but was unable to finish them. The two exchanged exposure points late in the bout but that did not prevent Bas from winning the bout.

Nesrin BAS (TUR)Nesrin BAS (TUR) scores two points over Astrid MONTERO (VEN) in the 68kg semifinal. (Photo: United World Wrestling / Amirreza Aliasgari)

However, the U23 world champion later revealed that she doubted herself to win the match after Montero scored the first takedown.

"My opponent was really strong," she said. "During the match when I lost points first, I became hesitant if I could win. But I overcome on that feeling. 

"I'm very happy. I trained a lot. I had to cut my weight. I'm happy I got the results I wanted. I'm blessed that the coaches believed in me. My goal now is the Olympic medal."

Bas was also pushed by the loud local fans who flocked to the stadium from the morning session. Bas made it a point to acknowledge them after every win. She blanked Ameline DOUARRE (FRA) 6-0 to start her day before scampering through 6-4 against Natalia KUBATY (POL). Bas survived a scare in the quarterfinal against Johanna LINDBORG (SWE) as she eked out a 4-4 criteria win.

She later celebrated her win by making a scowl-like gesture using her hands.

"My gesture of hands is a sign between me and my friends in the same club. I had promised them if I win I show that sign."

Kriszta INCZE (ROU) joined Bas as the other wrestler to win the Paris 2024 quota at 68kg after she defeated Veranika IVANOVA (AIN) 6-1 in the semifinals. Ivanova scored the first stepout which was her only scoring point in the match as Incze defended her shots.

This was Romania's second quota for Paris 2024 in women's wrestling as Andreea ANA (ROU) qualified 53kg from the European Qualifiers in Baku.

Son Hyang KIM (PRK)Son Hyang KIM (PRK) defeated Mariya STADNIK (AZE) in the 50kg Paris qualification bout in Istanbul. (Photo: United World Wrestling / Kadir Caliskan)

Stadnik suffers setback

Mariya STADNIK (AZE) suffered yet another setback in her journey to qualify for her fifth Olympics after losing the Paris Olympic qualifying bout to Son Hyang KIM (PRK) 10-3 despite leading for the majority of the bout. Stadnik led 3-0 at the break but was put on the activity clock twice in the second period. Kim got a takedown just before the second activity clock expired to put herself in a 4-3 lead. Stadnik, who was struggling with her conditioning, got turned by Kim three times to trail 10-3 with 19 seconds remaining.

Kim kept that lead and earned the Paris 2024 quota which she missed after suffering a painful loss at the Asian Olympic Qualifier as she lost her bout in the final seconds.

Stadnik still has a chance to qualify for her fifth Olympics if she can win the bronze-medal bout tomorrow and follow it up with another win in the playoff bout between the two bronze-medal winners.

The other 50kg quota was secured by Anastasia BLAYVAS (GER) as she defeated Miesinnei GENESIS (NGR) 6-1 to give Germany its third Paris quota in women's wrestling. Blayvas countered Genesis' attacks with ease and turned them into takedowns for herself.

Mariana DRAGUTAN (MDA) and Khulan BATKHUYAG (MGL)Mariana DRAGUTAN (MDA) and Khulan BATKHUYAG (MGL) earned the Paris 2024 spots for Moldova and Mongolia respectively. (Photo: United World Wrestling / Kadir Caliskan)

At 53kg, Moldova and Hungary earned a Paris spot each with Mariana DRAGUTAN (MDA) and Khulan BATKHUYAG (MGL) respectively. Dragutan was dominant in her semifinal against Sztalvira ORSOS (HUN), scoring 11 points before securing the fall with five seconds remaining.

Batkhuyag, a world silver medalist, was much quicker in her fall over Zeynep YETGIL (TUR) in the other semifinal, finishing the bout in just a minute and 43 seconds. She did give up the initial takedown but Batkhuyag rocked back with takedowns and ultimately getting the fall.

Yetgil and Orsos will return tomorrow in a bid to qualify for the Olympics through the bronze-medal playoffs.

Two-time European champion Alina HRUSHYNA (UKR) will also have to go through that path after she lost her Paris qualifying bout to Tokyo Olympian Olga KHOROSHAVTSEVA (AIN) on criteria. The Ukrainian led 5-3 with 30 seconds on the clock but Khoroshavtseva scored a takedown to earn a spot to Paris. 

Giullia PENALBER (BRA) denied Uzbekistan its second women's wrestling quota by beating Asian Games bronze medalist Laylokhon SOBIROVA (UZB) 7-5 in the other bout. This was the first Paris 2024 quota for Brazil in women's wrestling.

NISHA (IND)NISHA (IND) celebrates after winning the 68kg Paris qualification bout against Alexandra ANGHEL (ROU). (Photo: United World Wrestling / Amirreza Aliasgari)

At 68kg, India and China added their fifth women's wrestling spot as NISHA (IND) and veteran Feng ZHOU (CHN) won their respective qualification bouts. Nisha defeated Alexandra ANGHEL (ROU) 8-4 while Zhou won 13-2 over Mimi HRITSOVA (BUL).

Zhou was surprised by an early attack from Hritsova but she composed her to score a takedown before using the trademark high chest wrap to score six turns over Hritsova and win 12-2. Bulgaria challenged that number of turns but lost, giving a point more to Zhou.

Jia LONG (CHN) will have an opportunity to make it six out of six for China for Paris at 62kg. She lost to Incze but with Incze winning the semifinal, Long is pulled back in repechage. She will have to win a bronze medal and then beat the other bronze medalist in the playoff to earn the spot.

Nisha got on the charge against Anghel with a takedown in the first 30 seconds before adding another and a gut wrench to lead 6-0. Soon she made it 8-0 as Anghel rolled over as Nisha was trying to lock a cradle. Anghel gave herself a chance in the second period when she threw Nisha with a head lock for two before adding two more to cut Nisha's lead to 8-4. But Nisha survived the 1:50 left on the clock to win India's fifth spot.

India will now be sending five women wrestlers to the Olympics, its highest-ever qualifications in women's wrestling. MANSI (IND) lost to Ivanova at 62kg and will not be able to qualify India for all six wrestlers.

"It feels great to win five quotas," Nisha said. "I thought we would get six quotas but Mansi's luck has been bad. But feels great that we will travel with a big team."

Nisha was the Asian qualifier in a round-robin in which she won two bouts and lost one. Two other wrestlers had the same number of wins but more classification points, denying Nisha a spot in the semifinal. 

"At the Asian Qualifier, we had a cross semifinal and I thought I would reach semis but I failed on [classification] points," she said. "I knew that I would qualify, if not in Asia then at the World Qualifier. I never doubted myself. The day I lost in Bishkek, I started writing the names of wrestlers who would be coming to Istanbul. I never felt sad and continued training as I was confident of qualifying."

Nisha was close to qualifying India for the Tokyo Olympics but fell one win short. She later contracted COVID-19 and missed out on going to the Olympics.

"During the Tokyo cycle, I lost the Olympic qualification bout [62kg] and later got COVID-19," she said. "I lost trials in India and when I lost the trials for the Asian Games, I wanted to leave wrestling because I got another injury. But when I got better, I told myself that I could also step away after winning a medal."

Romania and Bulgaria did get the Paris 2024 quota but at 76kg, Catalina AXENTE (ROU) defeated Anastasiya ZIMIANKOVA (AIN) 6-3 while Yuliana YANEVA (BUL) stopped Davaanasan ENKH AMAR (MGL) 4-1.

 

df

RESULTS

50kg Paris Qualification Bouts
Anastasia BLAYVAS (GER) df. Miesinnei GENESIS (NGR), 6-1
Son Hyang KIM (PRK) df. Mariya STADNIK (AZE), 10-3

53kg Paris Qualification Bouts
Khulan BATKHUYAG (MGL) df. Zeynep YETGIL (TUR), via fall (8-3)
Mariana DRAGUTAN (MDA) df. Sztalvira ORSOS (HUN), via fall (11-2)

57kg Paris Qualification Bouts
Giullia PENELBAR (BRA) df. Laylokhon SOBIROVA (UZB), 7-5
Olga KHOROSHAVTSEVA (AIN) df. Alina HRUSHYNA (UKR), 5-5

62kg Paris Qualification Bouts
Nesrin BAS (TUR) df. Astrid MONTERO (VEN), 10-6
Kriszta INCZE (ROU) df. Veranika IVANOVA (AIN), 6-1

68kg Paris Qualification Bouts
Feng ZHOU (CHN) df. Mimi HRISTOVA (BUL), 13-2
NISHA (IND) df. Alexandra ANGHEL (ROU), 8-4

76kg Paris Qualification Bouts
Yuliana YANEVA (BUL) df. Davaanasan ENKH AMAR (MGL), 4-1
Catalina AXENTE (ROU) df. Anastasiya ZIMIANKOVA (AIN), 6-3

#JapanWrestling

Olympic champ Fumita joins Ono as late withdrawal from Emperor's Cup

By Ken Marantz

TOKYO (December 17) -- Five days after former world champion Masanosuke ONO made the stunning announcement that he was pulling out of the Emperor's Cup All-Japan Championships, another high-profile star aborted a long-awaited return to action by joining him on the sidelines.

Olympic champion Kenichiro FUMITA announced Wednesday on the eve of the tournament that he was withdrawing due to an injury, keeping him out of what would have been his first tournament since his triumph at the Paris Olympics.

Fumita, who won the Paris gold at Greco 60kg but was entered at 63kg, made the announcement on his X account. Without disclosing the injury, he said it "was not a major injury that will have an effect on my wrestling career, but I feel it is not worth the risk at this time so I decided to withdraw."

The Emperor's Cup is also serving as the domestic qualifier for the 2026 Asian Championships, and as the first of two national domestic qualifiers for this year's World Championships and Asian Games. The latter holds particular significance in that Japan will be hosting the event.

Fumita, the silver medalist at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics and a two-time former world champion, had only competed at 63kg once in his career, at the 2023 German Grand Prix, where he placed second as a warmup for the World Championships, where he took home the silver.

The 30-year-old was due to take the mat on Thursday, the first day of the four-day tournament at Tokyo's Komazawa Gym.

"I deeply apologize to everyone who was looking forward [to seeing me] and to all those involved [with the tournament]," Fumita said. "I will make the utmost effort to be in top condition and be able to perform at the next competition."

Last Friday, Ono announced that he had withdrawn for health reasons, a move that indefinitely delays his return to the mats of his native country.

Ono revealed on social media that he had been diagnosed with a kidney problem, possibly linked to cutting weight to get down to 57kg, according to a report by Japan's top wrestling website Wrestling Spirits.

Ono has been competing at either 61kg or 65kg in recent years, and the stress of getting down to 57kg might have taken too big a toll. Ono said that he had gotten near 57kg the previous week when he experienced thickening of the urine, which can be regarded as a sign of dehydration.

Upon consultation with a doctor, it was decided "I will play it safe this time," Ono said.

The 22-year-old Ono has become a worldwide sensation, first by winning the senior world title at freestyle 61kg in 2024 with one-sided victories that included beating a past Olympic gold medalist and the reigning world champion, then for leaving the comfort of Yamanashi Gakuin University for the challenge of competing in American folkstyle at powerhouse Penn State University.

The Emperor's Cup would have provided a rare chance for Ono to compete in a freestyle tournament again, the first step on the path to getting back to the World Championships.

Ono said he will now return to Penn State, where he will resume his introduction into folkstyle. While he is redshirting this year -- the system that allows him to train with the team but not enter official competitions to preserve a year of eligibility -- he plans to enter an open tournament in January.

As pointed out by Wrestling Spirits, the big issue facing Ono now is whether or not he will be afforded a spot in the Meiji Cup All-Japan Invitational Championships in May next year, which will be the second domestic qualifier for the worlds and Asian Games.

As the name implies, the field is limited to invitees, using criteria set by the Japan Wrestling Federation based on results from major competitions over the past year. There are exceptions made for a wrestler who has been out of action for an extended time but has achieved "particularly outstanding results."

In the past, this has been interpreted to mean medaling at an Olympics, as the majority of wrestlers take time off following Olympic success. The question the federation will have to answer is, will a world title in 2024 earn Ono an invitation?

Asked directly by Wrestling Spirits, Kenji INOUE, the federation's chairman of the technical enhancement committee, replied, "At this stage, nothing has been decided."

There is one incentive for the publicity-starved JWF to include Ono in the Meiji Cup field -- it could set up a classic match-up between him and Paris Olympic champion Rei HIGUCHI.

Higuchi has not competed since winning the Paris gold, but has already stated he plans to return at the Meiji Cup with eyes on a first Asian Games appearance.

Ono has not competed in Japan since June 2024, when he participated in the East Japan Collegiate League, a team competition in which he helped Yamanashi Gakuin win the Division I title.

After winning the gold at the Non-Olympic Weight Class World Championships in Tirana in October 2024, he revealed he had been dealing with a broken ankle.

That kept him out of competition for awhile, then early in 2025, he headed across the Pacific to begin training with the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club. In March, he made the blockbuster announcement that he would enroll at Penn State.

Ono had been entered at 57kg at the Bill Farrell Memorial Invitational in New York in November, but was a late withdrawal for undisclosed reasons.

At the Emperor's Cup, Olympic weight classes will be contested over two days in the same format at the World Championships, while non-Olympic weights will be finished in a single day.

Although Fumita will no longer be competing, fellow Paris gold medalist Yuka KAGAMI will be making her return to the mat for the first time since her Olympic triumph at women's 76kg, which gets started on Thursday.