Japan Wrestling

Japan Freestyle Squad Gets Together for 1st National Team Camp in Six Months

By Ken Marantz

TOKYO -- Save for a short period when his university was completely shut down, former world champion Takuto OTOGURO has been able to keep up a regular practice routine during the global pandemic.

But finally getting to work out with his fellow national team members takes it to another level. It gets the juices flowing, and raises hopes that the day the wrestling world gets back on the mat for competition won't be far off.

"To be here with the national team gathered together makes me feel grateful again," Otoguro said. "I feel motivated looking toward the Olympics."

The Japan national freestyle team started its first training camp in six months on Oct. 1 at the Ajinomoto National Training Center in Tokyo, with 17  of the nation's best converging for the eight-day conclave being held under strict health protocols.

In principle, the top two placewinners at last year's national championships were invited -- a few were excused due to university or company commitments -- as Japan begins preparation for the tentatively scheduled World Championships in December, Asian Championships in February and the Asian Olympic qualifying tournament in March. Whether any or all of the tournaments will be held is still just speculation.

The freestylers, who last got together in March this year, had been scheduled to have a camp in mid-July, following the women and Greco-Roman squads. While the latter two had their camps, freestyle was left in the lurch when a sudden surge of coronavirus cases in Tokyo caused the Japan federation to cancel.

Takuto OTOGURO ties up former Olympic medalist and national team coach Shinichi YUMOTO. (photo by Sachiko Hotaka/JWF)

"So many times we make a schedule and it's canceled, make a schedule and it's canceled," said freestyle head coach Kenji INOUE. "Under these circumstances, it could not be helped."

Scheduling a national team camp is no easy matter. Wrestlers are scattered around the country, and must be released by their university or club teams. Also, the federation needs to get the green light from its medical commission.

"Even if we [in the federation] want to hold this, we cannot do it without the support and cooperation of many people," Inoue said. "And then when we have to cancel after all the planning, all we can do it apologize to them. This time, along with being grateful for their cooperation, we can repay them by having a camp without incident."

Rei HIGUCHI squares off with former Olympic gold medalist and national team coach Tatsuhiro YONEMITSU. (photo by Sachiko Hotaka/JWF)

Following strict protocols

As with the camps held in July, the freestylers face strict regulations over their movements in the "bubble" of the NTC complex. There are limits on how many can be in the weight room at any one time. In the dining room, they are urged to sit diagonally across from each other, not face to face. Contact with the outside world is limited to an occasional run to the local convenience store.

Upon entering the wrestling room, they have their temperature taken, and sanitize not only their hands, but the bottom of their wrestling shoes. Each wrestler has taken a PCR test for the coronavirus; all came up negative.

"The teams did what they could and each individual did what he could," Inoue said. "I don't know if other countries did the same, but there's no anxiety on our part."

Otoguro has been somewhat fortunate in that Yamanashi Prefecture, where he attends Yamanashi Gakuin University, has been largely spared the brunt of the pandemic. Through Oct. 3, the prefecture west of Tokyo had just 194 cases and six deaths, compared to Tokyo with 26,376 and 411, respectively. As a whole, Japan has had about 1,600 deaths.

Otoguro and older brother Keisuke are the only Japanese in freestyle who have secured berths at the Tokyo Olympics, which were postponed a year to 2021. Takuto, the 2018 world gold medalist, earned his place at 65kg by finishing fifth at last year's World Championships, while Keisuke filled the 74kg spot by winning a domestic playoff, having moved up from 70kg.

Keisuke Otoguro had a slightly better situation coming into camp as he is a member of the Self-Defense Force Physical Training School team, which offers a high level of competition and ordinarily operates within a bubble of its own.

For inspiration, he has to look no farther than the team coaches, three of whom have won Olympic medals. Not only that, but Inoue (bronze, Athens 2004), Tatsuhiro YONEMITSU (gold, London 2012) and Shinichi YUMOTO (bronze, London 2012) are also on the national team staff.

"I am learning from wrestlers with the great experience of having won Olympic medals," Otoguro said. "I think that can be a big advantage for me."

His brother and Rei HIGUCHI, the Rio 2016 silver medalist at 57kg who will try to earn a spot in Tokyo in that weight class at the Asian qualifier, both got to see first hand how the coaches have not lost much since their active days.

Takuto Otoguro had the weight advantage in sparring with Yumoto, who wrestled at 55kg in his prime. But Higuchi faced the opposite situation in squaring off with Yonemitsu, who certainly looks like he would quickly get up to speed if he ever decided to return to competition.

"I have so much I can learn," Higuchi said of facing the muscular Yonemitsu, who has added bulk to the frame that triumphed in London at 66kg. "Naturally, there is a bit of a size difference. I need to overcome that. I'm the type that hates to lose, so it was very tough to take. I don't consider that the situation is hopeless."

Still, he is grateful for being back on the national team, as it gives him the chance for such encounters.

"If I'm not here, I don't have a chance [to wrestle] with Yonemitsu or Yumoto. It's fun, but it's also frustrating. This week, I'll do what I can to beat them."

Keisuke OTOGURO works on a takedown. (photo by Sachiko Hotaka/JWF)

Tough decision ahead

Higuchi had originally tried to make the Olympic team at 65kg, but couldn't get past Otoguro. He then dropped down two weight classes to 57kg to challenge former world champion Yuki TAKAHASHI, and defeated him in the final of the Emperor's Cup All-Japan Championships last December to earn a ticket to the Asian Olympic qualifier.

He hit a bump in the road when a cluster of infections broke out among the wrestlers at Nippon Sport Science University, his alma mater where he continues to train and serves as a graduate assistant. While it was not revealed whether Higuchi was among those infected, he said he made the best of the situation.

"Because of the coronavirus, the amount of practice was reduced," Higuchi said. "I went back home and had a lot of time off. I felt refreshed with a renewed sense of commitment. So it wasn't so bad."

Veteran Sosuke TAKATANI, a two-time Olympian and 2014 world silver medalist at 74kg who will try to make the Tokyo Games at 86kg, also had his training curtailed. But he is unperturbed about the long span between national team camps, which also saw the cancelation of all competition.

"I don't feel concerned at all," Takatani said. "Everyone in the country has to overcome this crisis. It's not a matter of, they did this or we couldn't do that. I'll just do what I can to get ready for the next competion."

What that competition will be is still up in the air, but even in the best-case scenario, Japan's top wrestlers will be forced to make a difficult decision.

The World Championships, normally held in September, have been scheduled for Dec. 12-20 in Belgrade. But that directly overlaps with the All-Japan Championships, which are slated for Dec. 17-20.

Normally, the team for the World Championships would be decided based on the results from the Emperor's Cup in December and the Meiji Cup All-Japan Invitational Championships in May or June. But the latter was canceled this year, and a Japan federation official said the winners at the Emperor's Cup will be given preference for places on the team to Belgrade. Some, however, may opt to stay in Japan for the Emperor's Cup, which will be their prerogative.

Takatani did not hesitate in saying he will opt for Belgrade. "My goal is to be No. 1 in the world, so if I'm given the chance, I want to definitely win the gold medal," he said, even though missing the Emperor's Cup would end his streak of nine consecutive national titles.

Both Takuto Otoguro and Higuchi said they are undecided at this point.

"I have to talk to my coach, I don't know now," said Otoguro, whose most recent competition was a gold-medal run at the Asian Championships in New Dehli in February.  "Tokyo is the goal, that's the standard. Whatever tournament I enter before then, I'll aim to win the title."

Higuchi is playing it by ear as well, leaving it undecided at the moment but assuring he will be on the mat for one of them.

"It will depend on the timing of how I feel in terms of getting back my match sense," he said.

The women and Greco-Roman national teams will hold camps from Oct. 20 and 21, respectively.

#WrestleTirana

Tibilov Serves Serbia Gold; Azerbaijan Wins Greco Team Title

By Vinay Siwach

TIRANA, Albania (April 22) -- A decade since Georgij TIBILOV (SRB) won a gold medal a championships, he was back on top, finally.

Back in 2016, he won gold at the U17 European Championships in Stockholm, Sweden. And on Wednesday in Tirana, Albania, Tibilov won gold at the senior European Championships at 60kg, only the fifth-ever champion from Serbia.

Tibilov had fallen short last year after dropping the final in Zagreb. However, he made no mistake this year, beating former U20 world champion Suren AGHAJANYAN (ARM), 2-2, on criteria.

UWW Plus

The 60kg final began with Aghajanyan scoring a stepout and then getting the par terre position in the first period to lead 2-0. However, he failed to score any points as Tibilov was solid in denfese.

In the second period, Tibilov did the exact same sequence and scored a stepout before getting the par terre position to lead 2-2 on last-point-scored criteria. as he was also failed to score points from par terre.

Georgij TIBILOV (SRB)Georgij TIBILOV (SRB), red, battles it out with Suren AGHAJANYAN (ARM) during the 60kg final. (Photo: United World Wrestling / Kostadin Andonov)

"It’s hard to put into words," Tibilov said. "I’ve never wrestled him [Aghajanyan] before. There are no weak opponents in the final. In fact, there are no weak ones at this tournament at all. He’s a very serious competitor. If it weren’t for my opponents, I wouldn’t be able to show what I showed here."

Tibilov won a bronze medal at the 2023 European Championships but he failed to repeat the feat in 2024. But in 2025, he reached the final before losing to Nihat MAMMADLI (AZE), who lost to Aghajanyan this year.

"The preparation [for this tournament] was serious and the result proves it. It’s always that serious but sometimes the result is different. That doesn’t mean we’re not working, it just means that sometimes you need to refine yourself, like a diamond, so it can shine."

The 26-year-old now prepares to take on the World Championships where he has previously won a medal in 2024 at 63kg. But 60kg, the weight classes by Asian wrestlers as they won all four medals at the 2023 World Championships and the 2024 Paris Olympics. It was only at the 2025 World Championships that Hrachya POGHOSYAN (ARM) broke the hegemony. Now, Tibilov wants to do it at the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics.

"The plan remains the same, we are moving step by step toward the Olympics in Los Angeles," he said. "All of this is part of the path toward the Olympics. I can’t say exactly what will happen, but we will fix everything there, in Los Angeles. And it won’t be only Asians standing on the podium."

Ibrahim GHANEM (FRA)Ibrahim GHANEM (FRA) avoids a last-ditch effort from Luri LOMADZE (GEO) in the 72kg final. (Photo: United World Wrestling / Kadir Caliskan)

In other finals on Wednesday, Ibrahim GHANEM (FRA) won gold at 72kg without sharing the space on the podium like he had to do last year. At 97kg, Kiril MILOV (BUL) defended his gold medal after beating Alex SZOKE (HUN) in a close final.

Azerbaijan's pair of defending champions Hasrat JAFAROV (AZE) and Gurban GURBANOV (AZE) repeated as champions at 67kg and 82kg and propelled Azerbaijan as the top team in Greco-Roman in Europe.

Ghanem, who won a gold medal after a controversial final last year, did not leave anything to luck. Wrestling Iuri LOMADZE (GEO) in the final, Ghanem got both par terre positions and scored two more points to complete a clinical 4-0.

Last year, due to a technical error, Ghanem and Levente LEVAI (HUN) had to share the gold medal. But the 2025 title had made Ghanem the first France wrestler to win the European title Greco in 30 years.

On Wednesday, he became only the second wrestler from the country to win the title twice, joining Ghani YALOUZ (FRA) who won in 1992 and 1995.

"This time my feeling is better because last year I had one wrestler with me for this medal," Ghanem said. "This is the best feeling for me."

Ghanem, a world champion in 2023, will now try to adjust himself in the Olympic weight class of 77kg.

"My plan now, I think for Olympic Games," he said. "I think this last time for 72kg, but I'm not sure. I will speak to my coach after European Championships."

Kiril MILOV (BUL)Kiril MILOV (BUL) at the medal ceremony with his gold medal. (Photo: United World Wrestling / Kadir Caliskan)

Milov, who has been out of action for a year now, returned to the mat and defended his European title, his third in total.

On the same side of the bracket as world silver medalist Artur SARGSIAN (UWW) and world bronze medalist Kiryl MASKEVICH (UWW), Milov defeated both of them en route the final.

In the final, Milov faced former U23 world champion and returning bronze medalist Alex SZOKE (HUN). After Milov got the par terre in the first period, he managed to turn Szoke and lead 3-1.

In a rare occurance, Szoke was awarded two passivity par terre positions. However, he failed to trouble Milov, who carefully defended his lead.

"I missed a year of major tournaments," Milov said. "I’m happy that my motivation and discipline helped me prepare to the maximum, give my best, and win a third European title."

Milov did not participated in World Championships in 2025 but is now raring to go and win his third world medal after two silvers in 2018 and 2022.

"Sometimes motivation fades as it’s a temporary thing," he said. "But the discipline I’ve built through sport helped me train every day and give my maximum, because if I have the chance to compete, I have to take it and give everything I have."

Hasrat JAFAROV (AZE)Hasrat JAFAROV (AZE) got two points as Murat FIRAT (TUR) committed a foul. (Photo: United World Wrestling / Kadir Caliskan)

Jafarov, Gurbanov Defend

Defending champion at 67kg Jafarov needed a third passivity in his final against Murat FIRAT  (TUR) to win his fourth European title. Jafarov got the first par terre position in the first period, and then used a four-point throw to race to a 5-0 lead.

Firat opened the second period with a four-point arm throw and then got a par terre position to lead 5-5 on criteria. He did not score any points from the position and decided to defend his lead.

However, with 55 seconds remaining, Jafarov was awarded a third passivity and Firat committed a defensive foul which was confirmed only after a challenge from Azerbaijan, giving Jafarov a 7-5 lead.

He defended that lead and claim the gold medal, fourth straight one of his career.

Gurban GURBANOV (AZE)Gurban GURBANOV (AZE) scores a takedown against Adlet TIULIUBAEV (UWW). (Photo: United World Wrestling / Kostadin Andonov)

Gurbanov also had a close final against Adlet TIULIUBAEV (UWW) at 82kg but he survived the battle and won 4-2.

The final began with a takedown from Gurbanov who used a strong throw to bring Tiuliubaev to the mat. Tiuliubaev challenged the call for a leg foul but the takedown was clean and the challenge was lost, giving one more points to Gurbanov.

The Azerbaijan wrestler then got the par terre position which extended his lead to 4-0. When the bout resumed in standing, Tiuliubaev managed a push out to make cut the lead to 4-1 before the break.

A passivity call against Gurbanov was the only point for Tiuliubaev in the remaining bout, giving Gurbanov a hard-earned victory.

The two golds propelled Azerbaijan to the Greco-Roman team title with 133 points. Turkiye finished second with 121 points and Georgia was third with 118 points. 

Photo

RESULTS

60kg
GOLD: Georgij TIBILOV (SRB) df. Suren AGHAJANYAN (ARM), 2-2

BRONZE: Nihat MAMMADLI (AZE) df. Suner KONUNOV (UWW), 6-0
BRONZE: Corneliu RUSU (MDA) df. Denis MIHAI (ROU), 6-5

67kg
GOLD: Hasrat JAFAROV (AZE) df. Murat FIRAT (TUR), 7-5

BRONZE: Slavik GALSTYAN (ARM) df. Oleksandr HRUSHYN (UKR), 5-3
BRONZE: Diego CHKHIKVADZE (GEO) df. Jan OEHLEN (SWE), 3-1

72kg
GOLD: Ibrahim GHANEM (FRA) df. Iuri LOMADZE (GEO), 4-0

BRONZE: Gaspar TERTERYAN (ARM) df. Aliaksandr LIAVONCHYK (UWW), 1-1
BRONZE: Cengiz ARSLAN (TUR) df. Pavel PUKLAVEC (CRO), 

82kg
GOLD: Gurban GURBANOV (AZE) df. Adlet TIULIUBAEV (UWW), 4-2

BRONZE: Zoltan LEVAI (HUN) df. Karlo KODRIC (CRO), 11-2
BRONZE: Gela BOLKVADZE (GEO) df. Mihail BRADU (MDA), 1-1

97kg
GOLD: Kiril MILOV (BUL) df. Alex SZOKE (HUN), 3-1

BRONZE: Artur SARGSIAN (UWW) df. Kiryl MASKEVICH (UWW), 4-1
BRONZE: Vladen KOZLIUK (UKR) df. Abdul CEBI (TUR), 7-0