Japan Wrestling

Japan Freestyle Squad Gets Together for 1st National Team Camp in Six Months

By Ken Marantz

TOKYO -- Save for a short period when his university was completely shut down, former world champion Takuto OTOGURO has been able to keep up a regular practice routine during the global pandemic.

But finally getting to work out with his fellow national team members takes it to another level. It gets the juices flowing, and raises hopes that the day the wrestling world gets back on the mat for competition won't be far off.

"To be here with the national team gathered together makes me feel grateful again," Otoguro said. "I feel motivated looking toward the Olympics."

The Japan national freestyle team started its first training camp in six months on Oct. 1 at the Ajinomoto National Training Center in Tokyo, with 17  of the nation's best converging for the eight-day conclave being held under strict health protocols.

In principle, the top two placewinners at last year's national championships were invited -- a few were excused due to university or company commitments -- as Japan begins preparation for the tentatively scheduled World Championships in December, Asian Championships in February and the Asian Olympic qualifying tournament in March. Whether any or all of the tournaments will be held is still just speculation.

The freestylers, who last got together in March this year, had been scheduled to have a camp in mid-July, following the women and Greco-Roman squads. While the latter two had their camps, freestyle was left in the lurch when a sudden surge of coronavirus cases in Tokyo caused the Japan federation to cancel.

Takuto OTOGURO ties up former Olympic medalist and national team coach Shinichi YUMOTO. (photo by Sachiko Hotaka/JWF)

"So many times we make a schedule and it's canceled, make a schedule and it's canceled," said freestyle head coach Kenji INOUE. "Under these circumstances, it could not be helped."

Scheduling a national team camp is no easy matter. Wrestlers are scattered around the country, and must be released by their university or club teams. Also, the federation needs to get the green light from its medical commission.

"Even if we [in the federation] want to hold this, we cannot do it without the support and cooperation of many people," Inoue said. "And then when we have to cancel after all the planning, all we can do it apologize to them. This time, along with being grateful for their cooperation, we can repay them by having a camp without incident."

Rei HIGUCHI squares off with former Olympic gold medalist and national team coach Tatsuhiro YONEMITSU. (photo by Sachiko Hotaka/JWF)

Following strict protocols

As with the camps held in July, the freestylers face strict regulations over their movements in the "bubble" of the NTC complex. There are limits on how many can be in the weight room at any one time. In the dining room, they are urged to sit diagonally across from each other, not face to face. Contact with the outside world is limited to an occasional run to the local convenience store.

Upon entering the wrestling room, they have their temperature taken, and sanitize not only their hands, but the bottom of their wrestling shoes. Each wrestler has taken a PCR test for the coronavirus; all came up negative.

"The teams did what they could and each individual did what he could," Inoue said. "I don't know if other countries did the same, but there's no anxiety on our part."

Otoguro has been somewhat fortunate in that Yamanashi Prefecture, where he attends Yamanashi Gakuin University, has been largely spared the brunt of the pandemic. Through Oct. 3, the prefecture west of Tokyo had just 194 cases and six deaths, compared to Tokyo with 26,376 and 411, respectively. As a whole, Japan has had about 1,600 deaths.

Otoguro and older brother Keisuke are the only Japanese in freestyle who have secured berths at the Tokyo Olympics, which were postponed a year to 2021. Takuto, the 2018 world gold medalist, earned his place at 65kg by finishing fifth at last year's World Championships, while Keisuke filled the 74kg spot by winning a domestic playoff, having moved up from 70kg.

Keisuke Otoguro had a slightly better situation coming into camp as he is a member of the Self-Defense Force Physical Training School team, which offers a high level of competition and ordinarily operates within a bubble of its own.

For inspiration, he has to look no farther than the team coaches, three of whom have won Olympic medals. Not only that, but Inoue (bronze, Athens 2004), Tatsuhiro YONEMITSU (gold, London 2012) and Shinichi YUMOTO (bronze, London 2012) are also on the national team staff.

"I am learning from wrestlers with the great experience of having won Olympic medals," Otoguro said. "I think that can be a big advantage for me."

His brother and Rei HIGUCHI, the Rio 2016 silver medalist at 57kg who will try to earn a spot in Tokyo in that weight class at the Asian qualifier, both got to see first hand how the coaches have not lost much since their active days.

Takuto Otoguro had the weight advantage in sparring with Yumoto, who wrestled at 55kg in his prime. But Higuchi faced the opposite situation in squaring off with Yonemitsu, who certainly looks like he would quickly get up to speed if he ever decided to return to competition.

"I have so much I can learn," Higuchi said of facing the muscular Yonemitsu, who has added bulk to the frame that triumphed in London at 66kg. "Naturally, there is a bit of a size difference. I need to overcome that. I'm the type that hates to lose, so it was very tough to take. I don't consider that the situation is hopeless."

Still, he is grateful for being back on the national team, as it gives him the chance for such encounters.

"If I'm not here, I don't have a chance [to wrestle] with Yonemitsu or Yumoto. It's fun, but it's also frustrating. This week, I'll do what I can to beat them."

Keisuke OTOGURO works on a takedown. (photo by Sachiko Hotaka/JWF)

Tough decision ahead

Higuchi had originally tried to make the Olympic team at 65kg, but couldn't get past Otoguro. He then dropped down two weight classes to 57kg to challenge former world champion Yuki TAKAHASHI, and defeated him in the final of the Emperor's Cup All-Japan Championships last December to earn a ticket to the Asian Olympic qualifier.

He hit a bump in the road when a cluster of infections broke out among the wrestlers at Nippon Sport Science University, his alma mater where he continues to train and serves as a graduate assistant. While it was not revealed whether Higuchi was among those infected, he said he made the best of the situation.

"Because of the coronavirus, the amount of practice was reduced," Higuchi said. "I went back home and had a lot of time off. I felt refreshed with a renewed sense of commitment. So it wasn't so bad."

Veteran Sosuke TAKATANI, a two-time Olympian and 2014 world silver medalist at 74kg who will try to make the Tokyo Games at 86kg, also had his training curtailed. But he is unperturbed about the long span between national team camps, which also saw the cancelation of all competition.

"I don't feel concerned at all," Takatani said. "Everyone in the country has to overcome this crisis. It's not a matter of, they did this or we couldn't do that. I'll just do what I can to get ready for the next competion."

What that competition will be is still up in the air, but even in the best-case scenario, Japan's top wrestlers will be forced to make a difficult decision.

The World Championships, normally held in September, have been scheduled for Dec. 12-20 in Belgrade. But that directly overlaps with the All-Japan Championships, which are slated for Dec. 17-20.

Normally, the team for the World Championships would be decided based on the results from the Emperor's Cup in December and the Meiji Cup All-Japan Invitational Championships in May or June. But the latter was canceled this year, and a Japan federation official said the winners at the Emperor's Cup will be given preference for places on the team to Belgrade. Some, however, may opt to stay in Japan for the Emperor's Cup, which will be their prerogative.

Takatani did not hesitate in saying he will opt for Belgrade. "My goal is to be No. 1 in the world, so if I'm given the chance, I want to definitely win the gold medal," he said, even though missing the Emperor's Cup would end his streak of nine consecutive national titles.

Both Takuto Otoguro and Higuchi said they are undecided at this point.

"I have to talk to my coach, I don't know now," said Otoguro, whose most recent competition was a gold-medal run at the Asian Championships in New Dehli in February.  "Tokyo is the goal, that's the standard. Whatever tournament I enter before then, I'll aim to win the title."

Higuchi is playing it by ear as well, leaving it undecided at the moment but assuring he will be on the mat for one of them.

"It will depend on the timing of how I feel in terms of getting back my match sense," he said.

The women and Greco-Roman national teams will hold camps from Oct. 20 and 21, respectively.

#WrestleTirana

Six-Time World Champ Sadulaev is Now Six-Time European Champ

By Vinay Siwach

TIRANA, Albania (April 25) -- "Six-time world champion, six-time European champion."

Abdulrashid SADULAEV (UWW) says the sentence has a "nice ring to it."

In 2024, Sadulaev wrestled at his first World Championships in three years in Tirana and won his sixth world title. On Saturday and in Tirana, Sadulaev wrestled at his first European Championships in six years and won his sixth European gold medal.

UWW Plus

Sadulaev, who is now unbeaten in 26 bouts in Europe, outwrestled Batyrbek TSAKULOV (SVK), 14-3, in the 97kg final. However, it was Tsakulov who opened the scoring in the final.

"Tirana has become such a lucky place for me," Sadulaev said. "In just two months, I’ve already managed to visit here for the second time. Two years ago, I won the World Championships here. The welcome here is so warm. The crowd and the atmosphere were absolutely top-notch."

In front of a packed Feti Borova Olympic Park Arena, Sadulaev lived up to the expectation of a world champion he was crowned at the same arena in 2024.

Barring the first attack from Tsakulov, Sadulaev remained in complete control of his final, and completed his 17th win via technical superiority in all European history.

Tsakulov surprised Sadulaev as he shot a double-leg early in the match and the latter tried to defend using a chest-wrap. But Tsakulov kept the pressure and put Sadulaev in danger to get his two points. Sadulaev quickly reversed and scored one point before turning Tsakulov three times for a 7-2 lead.

Sadulaev challenged the decision, which he later realized that he shouldn't have, and lost it as all the scoring was accurate. Tsakulov was awarded a point for the lost challenge.

Abdulrashid SADULAEV (UWW)Abdulrashid SADULAEV (UWW), red, battles it out against Batyrbek TSAKULOV (SVK) in the 97kg final. (Photo: United World Wrestling / Kadir Caliskan)

In the second period, Tsakulov threatened with some quick attacks but Sadulaev was quick on his feat to escape. He managed to score a stepout to extend his lead to 8-3. With 20 seconds remaining, Tsakulov tried another double-leg attack but Sadulaev was ready for it, countering it with a go-behind and scored a takedown.

Sadulaev could have well defended his lead but in the final 10 seconds, he hit his own attacks, scoring a takedown and then a turn to finish the bout 14-3.

"I’ve known Tsakulov since 2012," he said. "Back then we were both in the junior ranks, and he was already competing for the national team. We were competing in almost the same weight class at the time. Ever since then, I’ve known that you really can’t let your guard down against him at all. He’s capable of attacking at any moment."

After winning the final, Sadulaev was relieved to regain the top spot in the continent and said it gave him "peace."

"The last time I competed at the European Championships was six years ago in Rome," he said. "I really missed the international stage and the official competitions like the European Championships, the World Championships and the Olympic Games. They’re not like other ranking events, no other competition can compare to these.

"That’s why this victory was particularly important to me, so that I could have peace and a place in Europe."

But when asked to pick his most memorable European title among the once won in 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019 and 2020, Sadulaev picked his first gold he won in 2014 in Finland. Wrestling at 86kg then, Sadulaev defeated Murad GAIDAROV (BLR), 5-2, in the final and outscored his opponents 50-3 in five bouts.

"The first one I ever won," he said. "It was in Finland, in the town of Vantaa, I remember. I won quite easily and confidently there. But I was probably hungry back then, and I still am now."

Abdulrashid SADULAEV (UWW)Abdulrashid SADULAEV (UWW) looks at his medal during the European Championships in Tirana. (Photo: United World Wrestling / Kadir Caliskan)

Sadulaev is perhaps hungry for his seventh world title that he could win later this year after winning them in 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 and 2024.

"I’ve been keeping an eye on them [97kg opponents]," he said. "Unfortunately, last year I had to watch them on TV, both at the European Championships and the World Championships. So I’m keeping an eye on them, watching them, and moving forward."

But it won't be a straightforward quest. He would have to win the national championships, a virtual qualification for the World Championships.  

"If I do qualify, I think the 97kg category will be one of the most exciting World Championships in history. I really do," he said.

While that is still six months away, Sadulaev will be keen on regaining his 97kg world title which he last won five years ago in Oslo and change his record to seven-time world champion.

Akhmed USMANOV (UWW)Akhmed USMANOV (UWW) completes a takedown against Mahamedkhabib KADZIMAHAMEDAU (UWW) during the 79kg final. (Photo: United World Wrestling / Jake Kirkman)

In other marquee match on Saturday, Akhmed USMANOV (UWW) got the better of Mahamedkhabib KADZIMAHAMEDAU (UWW), 4-2, in the 79kg final. Usmanov was awarded an activity period point after Kadzimahamedau was warned for passivity in the first period.

Kadzimahamedau was put on the activity clock again in the second period and it was during this that Usmanov hit a double-leg attack to make it 3-0. When the activity clock expired, his lead extended to 4-0. It was only in the final few seconds that Kadzimahamedau managed a takedown but failed to get anything more.

David BAEV (UWW)David BAEV (UWW) celebrates his 2-1 victory over Alexandr GAIDARLI (MDA) in the 70kg final. (Photo: United World Wrestling / Kadir Caliskan)

Defending champion at 70kg David BAEV (UWW) saw off the challenge of rising star and U23 European champion Alexandr GAIDARLI (MDA) and retained his gold medal after a 2-1 victory in the final.

Baev needed a stepout in the second period to take a clear one-point lead and then kept Gaidarli at a distance to win his second consecutive Euro title.

Bashir MAGOMEDOV (UWW)Bashir MAGOMEDOV (UWW) scores two points on Islam DUDAEV (ALB) in the 65kg final. (Photo: United World Wrestling / Jake Kirkman)

At 65kg, Bashir MAGOMEDOV (UWW) stunned the home fans by beating home-favorite and Olympic bronze medalist Islam DUDAEV (ALB) in what turned out be a very one-sided final, beating Dudaev 10-0.

After a slow start to the final, it was Dudaev who blinked first, shooting for a far-fetched attack and Magomedov defended. It resulted in both wrestlers being in a tangle, but Magomedov came out on top for two points.

Magomedov wrapped his hands around Dudaev's legs and brought him down for another two points before turning him for two more, leading 6-0 at the break.

Dudaev gave up two easy takedowns in the second period as Magomedov completed the technical superiority with two minutes left in the final.

Islam BAZARGANOV (AZE)Islam BAZARGANOV (AZE) celebrates after winning the 57kg final. (Photo: United World Wrestling / Jake Kirkman)

The 57kg final saw Musa MEKHTIKHANOV (UWW) stage an impressive comeback against Islam BAZARGANOV (AZE) only to be denied in the final moments. Bazarganov led 8-0 before Mekhtikhanov scored six points in the second period. But he failed to score the making winning takedown and Bazarganov took the gold medal home.

Bazarganov used a slide-by to score the opening takedown for two points before an easy snapdown gave him two more points. He also rolled Mekhtikhanov to lead 6-0 after 1:12 in the match.

His third takedown also came using a slide-by and Mekhtikhanov fell on the mat as if he did not have any defense. Bazarganov led 8-0 at the break.

Mekhtikhanov woke up in the second period and managed to score a takedown after much effort to get on board with two points. A single-leg takedown made it 8-4 as Mekhtikhanov continued to reduce the gap. He used a sweep single to take off two more points but was left with only 17 seconds to score the match winning takedown.

But Bazarganov locked fingers, fled and threw his legs back when Mekhtikhanov attacked to save his lead and win the gold medal.

Photo

RESULTS

57kg
GOLD: Islam BAZARGANOV (AZE) df. Musa MEKHTIKHANOV (UWW), 8-6

BRONZE: Aryian TIUTRIN (UWW) df. Roberti DINGASHVILI (GEO), 8-5
BRONZE: Manvel KHNDZRTSYAN (ARM) df. Azamat TUSKAEV (SRB), 16-6

65kg
GOLD: Bashir MAGOMEDOV (UWW) df. Islam DUDAEV (ALB), 10-0

BRONZE: Vazgen TEVANYAN (ARM) df. Rashid BABAZADE (AZE), 7-0
BRONZE: Islam GUSEINOV (UWW) df. Ahmet DUMAN (TUR), 9-8

70kg
GOLD: David BAEV (UWW) df. Alexandr GAIDARLI (MDA), 2-1

BRONZE: Akaki KEMERTELIDZE (GEO) df. Oleksii BORUTA (UKR), 4-0
BRONZE: Iszmail MUSZUKAJEV (HUN) df. Mikyay NAIM (BUL), 10-0

79kg
GOLD: Akhmed USMANOV (UWW) df. Mahamedkhabib KADZIMAHAMEDAU (UWW), 4-2 

BRONZE: Zelimkhan KHADJIEV (FRA) df. Hrayr ALIKHANYAN (ARM), 11-1
BRONZE: Dzhabrail GADZHIEV (AZE) df. Rasul SHAPIEV (MKD), 8-0

97kg
GOLD: Abdulrashid SADULAEV (UWW) df. Batyrbek TSAKULOV (SVK), 14-3

BRONZE: Givi MATCHARASHVILI (GEO) df. Richard VEGH (HUN), 5-3
BRONZE: Akhmed MAGAMAEV (BUL) df. Radu LEFTER (MDA), via fall (4-2)

Semifinals

61kg
SF 1: Zavur UGUEV (UWW) df. Arsen HARUTYUNYAN (ARM), via fall (4-3)
SF 2: Zelimkhan ABAKAROV (ALB) df. Nuraddin NOVRUZOV (AZE), 9-2

74kg
SF 1: Taimuraz SALKAZANOV (SVK) df. Murad KURAMAGOMEDOV (HUN), 1-1
SF 2: Turan BAYRAMOV (AZE) df. Giorgi ELBAKIDZE (GEO), 1-1

86kg
SF 1: Ibragim KADIEV (UWW) df. Vladimeri GAMKRELIDZE (GEO), 9-4
SF 2: Arsenii DZHIOEV (AZE) df. Ivars SAMUSONOK (LAT), 12-2

92kg
SF 1: Ahmed BATAEV (BUL) df. Amanula GADZHIMAGOMEDOV (UWW), 3-2
SF 2: Ali TCOKAEV (AZE) df. Samuel SCHERRER (SUI), 6-0

125kg
SF 1: Vladislav BAJCAJEV (HUN) df. Mohsen SIYAR (GER), 4-3
SF 2: Giorgi MESHVILDISHVILI (AZE) df. Hakan BUYUKCINGIL (TUR), 3-1